When longing for a bowl of warmth in the fall season, most people tend to include chili and beef stew in their diet. Time factor is the biggest trouble with both of these options. To come up with the best versions of each, you need long simmers. This develops the great and comforting flavors that you are looking for in the dishes.
However, not everybody has the time to simmer for long. So, if you are planning to prepare stew dishes on the weekdays, the scrumptious seafood stew could be the best bet. The seafood stew is as rich and flavorful as a fine chili or meat stew could be. Seafood can be cooked easily and quickly, unlike beef that requires long simmer to attain the tenderness.
To prepare seafood stew, you do not have to follow any given set of rules. You can add or subtract the ingredients as per your wish and taste. But, keep in mind to cook the seasonings with onion and oil first. It helps them attain the deep flavors that normally require longer cooking time.
Here is a seafood stew recipe for spicy shrimp and Haddock stew
• Olive oil, 2 tablespoons
• Diced russet potatoes, 2
• Diced yellow onion, large, 1
• Minced garlic cloves, 4
• Dried thyme, 1 teaspoon
• Smoked paprika, ½ teaspoon
• Red pepper flakes, ¼ teaspoon
• Lightly crushed fennel seeds, ¼ teaspoon
• Chopped celery, 2 stalks
• Diced tomatoes, 15-ounce can
• Clam juice, 8-ounce bottle
• Water, 2 cups
• Raw and shelled extra-large shrimp, 1 pound
• Haddock, cut into small chunks, 1 pound
• Chopped fresh parsley, ¼ cup
• Chopped fresh dill, 1 tablespoon
• Lemon juice, 1 tablespoon
• Ground black pepper and salt, to taste
Now, the dish will take around 50 minutes to fully get prepared. Have a look at the preparation method of the dish.
• Take a large saucepan and place it over medium-high heat. Heat the olive oil. Mix the potatoes, onion, thyme, garlic, paprika, red pepper flakes and fennel seeds. Cook for around 5 minutes until onion is softened. Keep stirring.
• Add the tomato juice, clam juice, celery and water. Bring to a simmer. Now, cook for around 30 minutes after reducing the heat to low. The potatoes will turn tender.
• Add the shrimp and haddock. Increase the heat to maintain a simmer. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Shrimps turn pink and haddock flakes easily. Mix in the parsley, lemon juice and dill. Season with salt and pepper
The dish is prepared. Below are the nutritional facts per serving of the shrimp and haddock stew.
• 210 calories
• 45 calories from fat
• 5g fat
• 120mg cholesterol
• 15g carbohydrate
• 2g fibre
• 3g sugar
• 24g protein
• 570mg sodium
This stew can also be enjoyed on the normal weekdays, as it does not take too long to prepare. Enjoy the delicious stew with your family and friends whenever you wish to.